Don't miss

The rain brings floods and road closure – Kilcoy and Woodford

By on October 11, 2010
Ryans Gully

Ryans Gully

The rain is here, as we all can see, with a vengeance. “Button” down your hatches, close the windows, take a sickie because at this rate, work will be canceled anyway. Ryan Gully is over Mt Mee road so those children at Delaneys Creek School might need picking up as you might not be able to get there at 3pm. Anyone living on Iron Bark Rd or just off it, the road is flooded and quite deep so watch yourselves there.  Delaneys Creek School is not closed yet.

Iron Bark Road 12pm

Iron Bark Road 12pm

Iron Bark Road at 12.45pm could not get through

Iron Bark Road at 12.45pm could not get through

The most you can do is look out your window and see the rivers of water flowing by. That’s what I am doing right now. I suggested to Deb to take a photo of my driveway as it has turned into a river, seriously running out onto the road. There goes my new driveway.

My Dam turned into a river

My Dam turned into a river

Dams in the backyards are flooded and dogs, horses, cats, guinea pigs are looking miserable.

Roads that are closed today from the rain, 11/10/2010

–Kilcoy creek, D’aguilar highway

–Old Cove road, Woodford

–Cove road, Woodford

–Iron Bark, Woodford flooded but not closed

–Mt Mee Road flooded from Ryans Gully, Woodford but not closed.

–Kropp road, Woodford flooded but not closedd

–Sandy Creek road is on the verge of becoming closed.

My back yard

My back yard

Other Places to watch out for:

• Ironbark road usually floods in various places.
  • Krop road.
  • Ryan Gully Mt Mee road where the Delaney’s Creek school children walk to get to school is to dangerous for kids to cross.

Wet weather tips:

• Don’t go out and drive when it is raining like this.
  • If you must drive, do it slowly, and do not slam on your brakes like Deb does.
  • If this keeps going we all need to stay home.
  • Check around your house to see whats leaking.
  • Take note of where the water flowing so you can divert it to better places next time. (Hint for my husband)
  • Educate your children about the dangers of playing in flood waters.
  • Don’t take any chances like crossing flooded areas. It is not worth it.
  • Put your pets away as they usually do not like storms.

Things to say instead of “it’s raining” (but dont not over do it)

• It’s bucketing down.
  • It’s raining cats and dogs.
  • It’s P….ing down

I had to add this video in from Aspark’s Youtube channel. It shows the water gushing through the dam wall at Somerset Dam. ( And we still have to pay for water!)

About Mitz

11 Comments

1. Andrew Wood

October 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Ha ha Mitz,

Love the comment on the video. Paying so much for the water at the moments feels so much like a rip off…

2. Mitz

October 12, 2010 at 9:40 am

I have heard that Kilcoy creek is still flooded. Someone tried to go there and couldn’t make it past that point.

3. Mitz

October 11, 2010 at 2:15 pm

My husband always picks on me for saying silly things like “crystal clean” and “playing the piano at both ends”… Now I am saying “button down the hatches”…ha ha that is a new one! He will have a good laugh! If you think about it, how do you button down the hatches?

4. Deb

October 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Cathy and Jo I think the rain got to our brains

5. Jo

October 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Oops I meant ‘comes’

6. Jo

October 11, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Sorry to pick your english but it is batton down your hatches not button down. It commes from a time when people put battons (boards) over their windows to protect them from storms. That said I hope you stay safe and everyone please put your pets inside. They don’t understand.

7. Cathy Bond

October 11, 2010 at 1:37 pm

That should be OLD COVE Road not ALCOVE ROAD. thx

8. Deb

October 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Had a scary experience trying to pick up kids. Tried to get through Iron Bark Road. Managed to get through but the car almost konked out. Then had to get through Ryan Gully. Once picked up the kids decided to go Krop Rd luckily wasnt flooded yet but very close. Not going anywhere now.

9. Allyson

October 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Golf club road at Woodford went under this morning – road closed signs up at 9.30am

10. Mitz

October 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Wow…
    It hasn’t stopped. I wrote this post about an hour ago and it is probably outdated now. Also the Delaney’s creek school has just rang to tell me to pick up the kids.

11. Shanell

October 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

.6m high on Buckingham rd and raging torrent to hennessey rd D’aguilar road is closed